I found that having to cut out 300 5-1/2 inch background squares and the coordinating 300 baskets is a bigger task than I first thought. To date I have 154 background squares and 130 baskets. I just pulled another 20 fat quarters out of my stash and ironed them so cutting the necessary 3-1/2 inch strips making the cutting more accurate. Since I only need a piece 3-1/2 inches by 7 inches, I decided to cut the balance into 1-1/2 inch strips. I can then sit and sew log cabin blocks from these strips (that is, somewhere in the distant future). Here’s what my sewing room looks like when I start pulling fabric for a new project. The first photo is the stacks of baskets and backgrounds ready to applique.
As I had mentioned in my earlier post, I want to use 300 different red fabrics for the baskets. Trying to keep track of the used fabrics versus the to-be-used reds is a bit tricky but I am separating them into the storage container as I cut so I can keep track of them. Only 150 more reds to go. Let’s see how close my stash comes to having the 300 I need. Stay tuned.